As we move into the pre-Christmas “retail season”, the volume of catalog mail for me and my neighbors begins to noticeably weigh down the postal truck. A new, free, online service is designed to reduce the number of catalogs you get in the mail. Why would you want fewer catalogs?
- Over eight million tons of trees are consumed each year in the production of paper catalogs.
- Nearly half of the planet’s original forest cover is gone today. Forests have effectively disappeared in 25 countries, and another 29 have lost more than 90% of their forest cover.
- Deforestation contributes between 20% and 25% of all carbon pollution, causing global climate change.
- More than one billion people living in extreme poverty around the world depend on forests for their livelihoods.
- There are other significant environmental impacts from the catalog cycle. The production and disposal of direct mail alone consumes more energy than three million cars.
- The manufacturing, distribution, collection and disposal of catalogs generates global warming gases as well as air and water pollution. Reducing the number of unwanted catalogs that are mailed will help the environment.
How can you reduce the number of catalogs mailed?
Try http://catalogchoice.org today.